|Related captures from various sites & fan-sharing at EverythingLBH and LBH-soompi.com
Any queries or feedback, please direct them to Admin@EverythingLBH.com or PM us at our ELBH Facebook or LBH soompi forum // Thank you!
September 30, 2018
'Mr. Sunshine' Will Not Return For Season 2, But The Korean Melodrama Will Deliver A Proper Finale
By TAI GOODEN Bustle
Period dramas and romance go together like Queen Bey and Jay-Z. Who can resist fantastic costumes, a historical setting, and a sweet flirtation between an unlikely pair? No one, obviously. So, it’s no surprise that Netflix was able to roll out Mr. Sunshine, a series about Eugene Cho (Lee Byung-hun), a Korean-born United States Marine Corps soldier who returns to his native land in the late 19th century and falls in love with a beautiful woman named Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri). The final episodes of Season 1 will drop on Sept. 29 and 30, but Mr. Sunshine will not return for Season 2 because the entire series was only ever supposed to be this long, according to Deadline.
The report confirms that Netflix acquired the rights to start streaming the Korean drama worldwide from production company Hwa&Dam Pictures and Studio Dragon. Netflix has been positioning itself to dominate the global streaming scene through beefing up their international show offerings recently with foreign-language series like The Rain, Dark, Undercover Law, and Deadwind. Mr. Sunshine was created by Kim Eun-sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok, who are both known for their international hit Descendants of the Sun and is currently airing in South Korea.
Mr. Sunshine debuts two episodes a week, so Netflix is deviating from its usual "binge" style format to make sure the releases run in tandem with the regular broadcast. This allows fans around the world to get new material at the same time and avoid those pesky spoilers.
And, it's a perfect time-frame for a summer mini-series because it will wrap up the story near the beginning of the fall TV rush on cable network as well as streaming services. So, if you want something to fill in that mini-gap in your TV schedule and make you get in your deepest feelings, then you should totally be watching this show.
Mr. Sunshine actually didn't drop new episodes on the week of Sept. 16 because of the Chuseok (Harvest Mood Festival) holiday, per Rove.me. That means fans of the love laden series are beyond read for these remaining episodes following the holiday break. A glance at the show's Twitter hashtag reveals fans' bittersweet emotions about the drama thus far and the inevitable end of this saga. There was a massive explosion and cliffhanger at the end of Episode 22, so there could possibly be some major deaths to reconcile. Viewers tweeted about their their hopes, dreams, fears, and theories for how it will all end in the series finale.
Mr. Sunshine may be ending soon, but it's visually stunning and melodramatic episodes are immortalized (sort of) on Netflix for future trips down memory lane. And, at least the show is able to have a definitive ending instead of leaving fans high and dry after a sudden cancellation. That's the beauty of a mini-series. Hopefully, this love story will deliver a finale that conjures up more heart-eyed emojis than crying faces.
Behind-the-scene photos, from TEYU
Original Source (Star News via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Honorable sad ending..Kim Tae Ri joins the national independence army in Manchuria
Nationwide ratings for episode 24 (finale): 18.129%
1. [+11650, -27] Thank you to the ancestors who sacrificed their lives for the country... And thank you to the actors for their enthusiastic performance..
2. [+5585, -32] I was happy because I was able to watch the drama 'Mr. Sunshine' and because I was able to feel it. I sincerely thank all the people involved
3. [+5361, -46] A country where because they looked down on skills, looked down on the army, the ordinary people stepped in, grabbed guns and taught them, and volunteered in the front lines and died.... It's not so different from now.... I hope they pull out the chinilpas at least now so that they can release our ancestors' sorrow.... ??
4. [+3556, -30] It was sad and tragic.
5. [+2465, -109] Aren't they hanging the flag up backwards because the country was robbed? The day we take it (the country) back, the country will stand straight and the flag will stand straight.. Do you think they did that without knowing? In this type of masterpiece..
6. [+1591, -4] The thing I liked the best about this drama was the part where not only did they make a detailed reference to the Five Eulsa Traitors but also the Seven Jeongmi Traitors. I think that many people probably don't exactly know the Five Eulsa Traitors and probably don't know the Seven Jeongmi Traitors even more. Instead, I think it's important to take shameful history and teach us not to repeat that.
7. [+1572, -8] This was the best drama of my life.. It was more vivid, beautiful, and heart-aching than any historical movie. While watching the drama, it was my first time thinking about the country. The actors' acting.. And the cinematography plus the directing and the subject matter.. It's a work of art that won't exist again!! Bravo!!
8. [+1486, -9] Until the ending, the drama was to the point where it was the best drama of the year but after the ending, it looks like it's a life drama. The lingering is no joke. During the scene where the train was separating, Kim Tae Ri's sobbing and Lee Byung Hun's acting is really engraved into my mind. And Goo Dong Mae and Kim Hee Sung's last moment was really like that life. Goo Dong Mae was a sad life but because he lived a life where people trampled over anyone and killed them it was sad but it ended pitifully. Kim Hee Sung lived a life where he was confined by his ancestor's wrongdoing so he lived while trying to atone for the wrongdoings but in the end, unlike his ancestors, he died beautifully like his life with nothing in return ??
9. [+1348, -6] The captions at the end, "See you again in our country that becomes independent", thank you for letting us watch a drama like this...
10. [+1333, -7] There weren't any kiss scenes but the love story was stronger than any other drama...
Original Source (news1 via Naver): Finale 'Mr. Sunshine' Everyone dies in the war except for Kim Tae Ri…Honorable sad ending
1. [+798, -3] It was a masterpiece...
2. [+430, -2] I would like to thank the members of the Righteous Army and independence fighters who let Korea exist until now, we can't let this drama end as a drama but need to make sure to receive a formal apology from Japan
3. [+407, -2] Only Ae Shin survived but Yoo Jin, Dong Mae, Yang Hwa, and Hee Sung are all precious and are all alive in my heart. Starting from Righteous Army leader Hwang Eun San to Gunner Jang, Haman-daek, Haengrang, and all the Righteous Army members whose name we don't know, thank you. Those people are the history itself.. Goodbye.. See you again..
4. [+300, -4] This is the all-time best drama of my forty year life, it deserves to be called a drama
5. [+237, -1] I think it'll be hard for me to re-watch the last episode. Because my heart hurts..
6. [+56, -1] It's the best drama of all time, no it's passes a drama and it's a movie. It's a really deep drama that made me realize that Japan was a country like that and thanks to the members of the Righteous Army, we're able to live in a country that regained its independence, thank you
Published on October 1, 2018 by Amanda Song